« Home | Baadam And Kaaju Ka Sharbhat(Dryfruit Drink) » | Tofu Masala Curry » | Chole For Sunday(Chick pea Curry) » | Spicy Cauliflower Curry(Gobi Sabzi) » | Tofu Burji » | Sabuddaana Upma » | Aloo Kurma » | Kaaram (also know as "Errakaaram") » | About me and my family »

Idli



Idli is one among the best tiffins south indians ever have. Though it is liked by all our indians and now becoming world popular as our restaurants are exploring our food culture in different places of world. It is good for health, contains more carbohydrates which are needed for breakfast and easy to digest, since it is cooked on steam. It contains almost no oil. Idli is made almost same by every one except little variations. And that little variations makes lots of difference. Here I prepared Peanut Chutney from Lakshmi's Blog and Endu Kobbari Podi from Sailaja's Blog . I Like both very much. I prepare peanut chutney almost every time I prepare idli or dosa. Thank You Lakshmi!! also Endu kobbari podi is liked by us a lot.Thank You Sailaja. So for the break fast I have choosen thease two along with idli. Here goes the recipe of idli (my version).
Ingredients:
-----------------
3 cups boiled rice (I preffer ponni boiled rice)
1 1/2 cup Urad dal (Black Gram or Minnapa pappu)
Salt as required
Pinch Of Soda( Biocarbonate of Soda)
Required water
Method:
----------
  1. Soak both boiled rice and urad dal overnight( I soak both togeather and 10 to 12 hrs).
  2. Wash both boiled rice and urad dal in cold water for several times.
  3. Grind them in 3 or 4 rounds, so that it becomes soft paste and grinder does'nt get heated up soon and delay in the process.Also if so done you require less water, which is good for idle batter to ferment.
  4. After you grind completely mix the batter well for some time.
  5. If it is winter, put the batter in oven (on warm) which allows the batter to ferment better.
  6. Thus, allow the batter to ferment for 10 to 12 hrs.It will rise to the double the size of original batter.
  7. Mix salt and soda to the batter very well.
  8. Grease the idli plates with little oil and fill them with batter.
  9. Do not fill much, because due to soda, idli will rise after cooking.
  10. Steam for 15 minutes, and see wheather they are cooked before taking from the heat.

Note: I steam idlis in pressure cooker, which I do for 15 minutes and sim for 1 min and remove from the heat. The batter should ferment very well, to get fluffy and soft idli's. And use less water while grinding.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Hi,
Nice presentation..

YAY!! I am the first one to comment! Hi Meena, I must thank you first girl :), for your karam recipe. Delish!! Check my post.

I agree with you ,Idlis are THE best!! For me, give it to me any time, YUM!

Thanks Meena for sharing.

Hi Asha,
thank you for your compliments.I have visited your blog and checked kaaram recipe.It good.I have even gave a comment.Do check.I will try to give more traditional recipes in future.

HI(Menu Today)
thanks you for you compliment.

Meena, I am so glad you tried out the endu kobbari podi and liked it. Nice pictures!

HAPPY GANESHA CHATHURTHI !!

Post a Comment

MENU OF THE DAY

Previous posts


Add to Technorati Favorites

Click to Join the Foodie Blogroll

Powered by FeedBurner

All the text and photographs Copyright © 2006-2007
Meena and Srinivasulu Kandlakuti
All rights reserved