Whole Wheat Pasta (Simple Meal)
- 1 cup pf whole wheat pasta
- 1 quater / 1 liter / 32oz of water
- Salt a/c to taste
- 1/4th tsp mustard seeds (aavalu)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jilakara)
- 2 garlic pods (cut and crushed)
- 1 small onion (Cut onion into small pieces, just as you do for upma)
- 2 green chillies (slit and cut into small pieces)
- 1 stem curry leaves (karivepaku)
- 1 big tomato ( sized into small cubes)
- A dash of pepper
Method For Cooking Pasta:
- Bring above specified amount of water into full boiling with little salt.
- Once the water starts full boiling, add pasta and cook with open lid, stirring occasionally.
- Cook till about 10 minutes approx. But do check the pasta in between , to know wheather it is cooked well.
- Just take one piece of pasta, press and see wheather you like that chewing consistency. If it is ok , remove from heat or else cook till it reaches texture as you desire.
- I like little crunchy texture, so I stopped after 10 minutes of boiling.
- Drain water and allow the pasta to cool a little, till you prepare the seasoning.
- If it sticks to each other, then just rinse once in cold water and keep aside to drain.
Method For Seasoning The pasta:
- Heat a wok, add 2 full tsp of oil (I used olive oil, which is best for such meals).
- Now add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, green chillies and curry leaves one after the other as mentioned, giving time for each to splutter.
- Now add onions and fry till they turn transparent. Add garlic and fry for 1 more minute.
- Now add tomato and sprinkle with pepper powder and very small amount of salt(as already salt is addded to the pasta while cooking). Pour little water (say 1/4 th cup) and close lid.
- Allow to cook, mix in between, till tomatoes are soft. Just check the taste for salt and spice. if you think you need little more add here, respectively.
- Now add drained pasta and mix well with other ingredients. Close lid and decrease the heat. Allow to cook for couple of minutes more or till all other spices get well with pasta.
- Before removing from heat, just check the taste and if needed add like salt or pepper.
- Serve hot or warm. This is best one for kids also who like pasta but desire for spices:-)