Egg Pulusu (Kodi Guddu Pulusu Koora)
5 to 6 eggs (preferrably organic)
Tamarind or Chinthapandu equal to 2 lemons ( For more gravy..you need to soak more tamarind)
2 to 3 medium sized tomatoes
1 or 2 big onions (2 onions are preffered)
1 stem curry leaves
1 tsp ginger pulp
1 tsp garlic pulp
1 tsp turmeric powder (pasupu)
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 to 1/2 tsp ground coriander powder
Salt a/c to taste
Oil for cooking
1/2 cup fresh cilantro or kothmeeru(optional)
- Boil eggs well, remove shell, make cuts in between the eggs with knife (as you can see in the picture above) and keep aside.
- Wash once and soak tamarind or chinthapandu in warm water. Water level should be 1 or 2 inches more than tamarind level.
- Cut onions into very thin slices. Make slits in the green chillies.Cut tomatoes into medium thick slices and keep all of them aside.
- Now heat oil in a deep sauce pan, add green chillies, curry leaves, cumin seeds and fry for 1 minutes. Now add onions and fry on medium heat till they all turn into dark brown in color. For this curry it is necessary that onions should be fried well i.e., into dark brown color(so that curry stay fresh for 2 days and also for that dark color we want in the curry)
- After that add ginger and garlic pulp and fry for 1 minute. Add turmeric powder and mix with other ingredients.
- Now add tomatoes and mix with other ingredients. Add salt from above and cover the sauce pan. Allow tomatoes to become soft. Then mix salt and add chilli powder and coriander powder with tomatoes and mix well. Add little water and allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, take juice outof tamarind in the same container it is soaked. Remove tamarind and add juice to the saucepan. Also add eggs with slits to this curry.
- The overall curry should be thick..see and add little more water if you want.
- Now cover the saucepan and allow to cook for abt 10 to 15 minutes or untill the eggs change its color from white to light brown. this is beacuse the pulusu or gravy should go into the eggs through cuts made on them. The real secret for this curry lies here. The taste of eggs changes ..ofcourse very yummy:-)
- Finally add fresh cilantro , mix and sim heat with cover on saucepan for 1 minute more and turn off the heat.